Thursday, July 1, 2010

Fiesta Island 20km Time Trial 5/9

I have done the 20km FITT (Fiesta Island Time Trial) several times over the past few years. Although TTs have never been my strong point it is a great way to judge general fitness/form. My current PR (personal record) of 29:33 (25.3mph) was set the previous year on my old road Giant TCR road bike that had been fitted with TT bars and race wheels. This winter I got a new (to me) Javelin TT frameset and tried to train on it once every other week to get my position dialed in. On race day JT owner of Moment Cycle Sport let me borrow hit rear disk wheel to help slice through the wind. So with those factors in addition to all the training I had been doing on the bike with the guidance of coach Sean Burke, I knew I should set a new PR. I got to the race early and warmed up well. Off the line I eased into my effort making sure I found my pace quickly, but gradual enough to not send my heart rate through the roof. I was very comfortable in the TT position with my new frame and was able to just concentrate on pushing a good gear. It was pretty windy for FITT standards and in the end I clocked a 27:59 (26.65 mph ave) beating my old PR by 1:34 and winning the 19-29 age group. Under 28min is a pretty respectable time so I am very happy with that performance and hope I can continue to improve my time trialing.

No comments:

Post a Comment