Friday, June 18, 2010

San Dimas Stage Race

Stage 1: 3.8mi TT w/ 1300' of climbing up GMR.
Placing: 50th of 120
Time: 16:39 clocked but actually closer to 16:15
Report: I decided to use my open pro rear wheel and Power Tap for pacing. I finally showed up late to the line for a TT........ real smooth James...I have cut it close many times, but this time I actually did it. I ended up leaving the line about 20 seconds late. I tried to get my HR and thoughts in my head to calm down so I would not blow up like I did last year. I managed to stay pretty smooth for the first 10min, and my ave power was pretty good, but maybe a tad more than I could handle for ~15min. I caught my 30s (actually ~50s) man but I really started to slow over the last 5-6 min. HR and Breathing were giving me signs that the power numbers were not. In the end my time was respectable, but not as great as I had hoped for. My ave power for the entire TT was 270w (~4.6 w/kg). I held just over 300w (~5.1w/kg) for first 5min, then my ave dropped to 285w (~4.8w/kg) over the entire first 10min. Then I hit the wall and my power really dropped off.

Stage 2: 56mi RR (8) laps w/ KOM on even laps and Sprint time bonuses on odd laps.
Placing: 47th
Report: Hot and Fast! I started with the intent of going for the KOM jersey today, but the 1km kicker was killing me each lap, so I went into a defensive mode instead. The KOM and Sprint time bonuses made this race FAST every lap. With 2 to-go I got behind some bad wheels just before cresting the climb and we got gapped on the decent and had to chase the pack through the start finish for about one mile. I was doing my best to motivate the guys I was stuck with and ended up doing most of the chase myself, but we made in time. I obviously was well in the red during the chase and only had a few miles to recover before the last climb. I tried to move up through the pack so I could fall back on the climb and hang with the group, but the pace was again too fast and I just missed the tail end of the bunch going over the top. I ended up chasing with a few others and finished 53 seconds off the back of the lead bunch. The front group was down to only about 45 riders from 120 and only 64 made the time cut. So when ½ the pack doesn’t make the time cut you know the pace was moving.

Stage 3: 50min Crit.
Placing: 40th
Report: Really fun course, and the pace was a little more chill than the RR because I think we had a lot of tired legs. It was strung out pretty and if you were not in the top 8 or so into the last corner you didn’t have a chance. I left it too late to move up and just finished within the pack and didn’t contest the sprint. I had a blast @ SDSR this year, but after 2 hard days I was just kinda riding in cruise control for the crit. Last year I was out of shape I attempted to race Cat 3 @ SDSR and posted a horrible TT then got dropped on the second lap of the RR, so I was pretty happy with my performance overall this year.

Final GC: 43rd of 120

No comments:

Post a Comment