Friday, July 30, 2010

7/26 USCF Upgrade Race @ ADT

Photo By Pat Benson

RACE #1 – 20 Lap Scratch: The race started out pretty smooth, riders taking ½ lap pulls at the front. Then one rider let a gap open on purpose so he would not have to rotate through and could watch for any attacks. I was behind this rider so I ended up skipping a few pulls as well. Then the attacks started and let the guy who created the gaps bring us back to the group. After it was all back together the pack started rotating again and then with 2-to-go everyone was jockeying for position. With 1.5-to-go I was third wheel and the guy at the front went for it. It was fast enough that no one was going to try to come around early so I was sitting pretty. I jumped out of turn 2 on the bell lap taking the pole just before turn 3 and giving it all I had to take the win by a few bike lengths. 1st place (7 omnium points).

Photo By Pat Benson

RACE #2 – 32 Lap Points (sprints every 8): Unlike last month’s Points Race the field stayed together. I was in bad position for the first sprint so I aimed for the next but only managed 3rd (2 points). Then I ended up on the front with a 1.5 to go for the third sprint so I soft pedaled as long as I could before winding it up and taking the win. (5 points). Again I was not in ideal position for the final spring but hung on for 3rd again (2 points). This was a pretty tough race and I really had to dig deep to get those points. Not my best points race, need to work on timing and positioning for the upcoming sprints. I ended up 3rd Place (3 omnium points) 3 points off the winner and 1 point off second, but most importantly I was still holding onto the omnium lead by 1 omnium point.

Photo By Pat Benson

RACE #3 - Miss-N-Out (last rider pulled from race every other lap until only 1 remains): Like the last upgrade race we had a small field so I rode the miss-n-out from the front until it was down to a few riders. Everett and I kept the pace just high enough so riders did not want to come over the top and box us in. With four riders left there was some confusion with the bell/lap cards and Everett got pulled. It was down to the top 3 riders in the omnium. I was in the pole watching the third rider and gave it just enough gas so that he stayed back there and got pulled. I eased off the gas and tried to recover for the final sprint and with 1 lap to go I swung high up track in turn 1. The other rider jumped hard coming out of turn 2, I saw it coming and jumped on his wheel. I sat on his wheel a little too long and jumping just before turn 3 missing the win by a few inches. 2nd Place (5 omnium points).

OVERALL: 1st in Cat 3 Omnium and got some more upgrade points. The field was stronger than the last event, but I was more consistent than everyone else and managed to take the omnium by 1 point. The next upgrade race is Aug 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment