Sunday, May 15, 2011

5/14 "For a Few Laps More" Bon Hansing Memorial Cup #3

So I made the drive up again to Encino to race the final Bob Hansing Cup Omnium of the series. I was tied for 2nd overall and leading the Overall Endurance category. The schedule was interesting and did not particularly suit me but what the hell.

Keiren Quarter Finals: So it was 5 up with 4 advancing in the 1st Keiren round. I drew the #5 straw so lined up at the back and did not fight for position as the moto wound it up. I tail-gunned it and gave it just enough to advance.

 40 Lap Points Race: VIDEO of Cat 3/4 Points Race from 53:00 to 1:06 The field was pretty strong with some fast Bike Religion roadies and the same fast Junior track riders. One rider went from the gun and was brought back about 1km from the 1st sprint. The pace slowed as suspected and I jumped hard over the top. One or two riders came with me and we shared the work, with Bobby and Daniel bridging up just before the first sprint. I ended up leading out the sprint and getting 4th (1-point). I kept rolling after the first sprint and a group of five or so worked together to increase the already established gap. I win the 2nd sprint in the process (5-points) we catch the field a few laps later (20-points). Daniel did not catch, but managed to stay away for the 3rd sprint and I ended up 3rd (2-points). I sit in the group to recover a bit, but there was some confusion on what riders were lapped and what riders we could work with. Bobby and a Bike Religion guy manage to get off the front with another rider I missed the move and was focusing on recovering, but my group was not bringing them back anytime soon. I jump hard and try to close the gap as quick as possible. Just barely making it to the group and leaving a few of the other early break companions behind I sit on and try to recover before the final sprint. I was sitting 2nd wheel and make my move out of turn 2 coming around the rider at the front and Bobby on my wheel. I keep the speed up, but Bobby gave it a late kick to take the Win by a few inches. I got 2nd in the final sprint (3-points). This left Bobby and I tied with 31 points, but he edged me out in the final sprint and that is the tie breaker.
Keiren Semi Finals: I was 5th of 6 riders on the rail and top 3 advance to the finals. I made my move too late and was stuck high on the track and missed 3rd by an inch or two.  So no omnium points for me.

Belgian Win-N-Out: This was a tricky event, a 1KM race then they ring the bell for 5th, then 4th on the next lap and so on until the final sprint for the win, but if you are too confident you end up with nothing! I knew I had the Overall Endurance prize in the but I needed some luck to move from 3rd in the series to 1st or 2nd. So I went for the win, but couldn't take the final sprint and ended up with no omnium points.
In the end I ended up 3rd on the day and 3rd overall in the series, but my 2nd in the Points Race clinched the Overall Best Endurance Rider award. Also I should now have enough USCF point to get the upgrade the should have given me last season.

No comments:

Post a Comment