Sunday, August 4, 2013

2013 CCCX CR #9 - P123

Race: CCCX CR #9 P12
Course: 90min on the original Fort Ord course, some of everything but not too much of anything. Just what I like (keeps my mind busy while legs are screaming).

Report: Only ~15 riders showed up today for the P123, but included Eamon (CalGiant) fresh of his BIG Win at SRT, Ranier & Nick from TMB, Randy B. (Leopard), Byron A. (DBC) and Logan Loader's roommate Thibault representing France Thibault plus a few riders that were on the podium in the E2/3 race. So I figured my best chances are from a break that does not include Randy or Rainer.
At the start I find a Cliff, Mario, and  Scott fresh of their podium in the race before. So bar was set high and they seemed in great spirits and simply told me to win. Thanks for the motivation guys. 

Attacks started flying from the gun: After several attacks from just all over the place Eamon goes solo establishes a gap n the false flat after the tailwind climb, I jump hard and bridge. On the main rollers into the headwind Thibault joins us. Great we have some major horsepower, but there is equal horsepower behind us and still 85minutes left in the race!!! By the front-side tailwind rollers we have a good gap but Chris Cain (hot off his E2/3 win) is bridging solo. We decide to wait since one more rider will really help our TTT effort and we assume he will not be there at the very end since he is on race #2. After a lap or two of Thibault really punching it on all the climbs, Eamon has had enough and decides to sit up since the pack is on our heals and the pace had been pretty surgey and unpleasant. At this time Chris is yo-yo-ing but I convince Thibault to take longer pulls rather than harder pulls and give Chis some time to recover. Chris hangs tough for another lap or two before giving us some encouragement and sitting up.

Two Man Break:The pack keeps coming in and out of sight, so Thinbault and I just try to keep the gas on as much as we can and make sure we hit all the climbs pretty hard. We had to do about half the race as a two-man break and for the last 2-3 laps we had a small chase group of about 2 or three trying to bridge that was pretty close at times. We worked well together and didn't play any games until half way through the last lap when we new the chasers were not going to catch. Thinbault made one big attack on the final rollers, but I was expecting it and he finally looked to be fading. I wanted him to be on the front for the descent and finale since that is where I lost the race last time against Eamon on this course, so I went to the front and guttered him for the final mile or so before the descent gave a flick of the elbow so hopefully he would out of courtesy take over after my long effort. Unfortunately he was content to sit on.

The Finale: So the games began. I hit the final descent at a tempo effort before swinging off to the right so he would have to come around into the wind. Again he just waits, as we get closer to the final corner I ease off the gas to loosen up the legs and stay right so I can see him out of the corner of my eye. Now it is almost like a match sprint. I watch to see how close I can get to the corner before he opens it up. He never jumps so I jump just before the corner and get the inside line and give it all I got. This was at lower speeds than normal so I make sure not to get too trigger happy with the shifting knowing the final kick before the line can really bog you down if your over-geared. Sure enough Thibault comes around slowly before the road kicks up. I just give it as much as I can to keep the gear from slowing. The tables turn again and Thinbault begins to fade slightly as I keep my gear spinning to the line and take the Win by about a wheel length. Chris C. snapped a video of the sprint http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5DF42r0jLY&feature=youtu.be It is not pretty but we had just done a 90min TTT effort.
Time: 1hr27min
Dist: 34.4mi
Elevation: 2887ft
Norm Power: 279w (254w Ave) setting new power PRs from 60min thru 90min

No comments:

Post a Comment