Sunday, March 10, 2013

2013 CCCX CR #2 & #3 - P123

So after Lee, Carmi, and I tested the new CCCX course 2 weeks ago, I was glad to be back on a real circuit with closed roads, endless rollers, and guttering crosswinds.

CCCX #2
That being said, CCCX #2 was fun despite the very small field and out and back course, Lee won the P123 from a 2man break that went on lap 1 SOLID, I was 3rd after attacking the chasers after they were worn down a bit, Carmi was 6th after attacking the 2nd chase group. So I would say we rode the race just about as good as we could have. In the earlier and larger E2/3 field Carmi rode the entire race off the front but was caught by  a solo rider (or maybe he started in front of Carmi, I forget) and 2 other riders in the last 200m or so but hung tough for 4th. Lee was the rider that got a free tow from a rider bridging the gap on the final la[p, but was able to out-sprint his companion for 2nd!!! Nice work guys.
CCCX #2 Results:
P123 Results: 1st - Lee, 3rd - James, 6th - Carmi
E2/3 Results: 2nd - Lee, 4th - Carmi

CCCX #3
Back to the original course meant bigger fields and longer races YEA!!!. Carmi did the E2/3 race which came down to a field sprint. He manages 5th in good sized field, nice more upgrade/BAR/BAT points!

In the P123 race it was just Matt and myself. Although Madera took some of the usual suspects away the P123 still had about 20 starters. CliffBar had a few guys, BearDev, Leopard-Soporo, Olympic club had a few local Cat1s, but most other riders were racing solo. Local Eamon van Lucas of Cal Giant and the U23 National Team prepping for departure to race most the season in Europe with the National Team was clearly "the guy" to watch with a few climber types and mostly sprinter types in the field Matt and I figured out best chance was just to follow Eamon and any if the other TT/climber types that can split the field and possibly get away. With a small field and breaks often being more if splits that breaks in this course we decide to go with 1 of 3 odds or 2 of any 4+ rider break. So plan was simple.

Lap 1: basically warm-up
Lap 2: Eamon drills it up the first gradual climb and everyone is in the gutter scrambling. He eases everyone sits up and a counter attack goes. Eamon waits then jumps across and picks up the pace from the group up the road. I was boxed in, but Matt jumped just after Eamon did, perfect. Then a Leopard rider jumps across (which would make the group now ~5) so I follow. At the top of the first climb (the one where everyone is guttered on the left of the road), Matt just loses contact as I make contact, I don't pull through hoping Matt can close the gap before the group gets organized. But Eamon piles on the pressure on the flat section before the decent. A few others bridge across as the break initiates. About 7 riders in total.
Lap 3-5: The break was bigger than I wanted, but as the laps ticked down and Eamon convinced everyone to pull through and a few things were clear 1) a few riders would not last and 2) this was "the move." I was not happy since the odds did not match our original plan so I was that enoying guy in the break taking short pulls on the flats and longer hard pulls on the rollers in the gutter hoping to wear out the group a bit. The good news was the sprinters from Cliff and a few other teams were not present. Eventually after it was really clear this group was staying away people started putting in some attacks. All the attacks that happened on the rollers before the finishing straight were unsuccessful but since those roller had a cross headwind they did tire out the group.
Lap ~5: So on lap 5 Eamon hit it again near the bottom of the first climb (which typically has a cross/tail wind) then pulls off to see what damage he caused, I immediately hit it hard over the top and kept drilling it until the 1st descent. Success group explodes and we are down to 4 from 7 or 8.
Laps 6-7?: 4 was still more than I wanted and it was clear due to the explosion behind the dropped riders were gone for good so I take it easier on the flats but start throwing in some attacks on the rollers and the tailwind climb hoping to get Eamon to go with me. Eamon and the BearDev kid were buddies and started chatting now and then when Chris or I could not hear. So I decide to watch what kind of games they may play and took an easy lap to rest up for finale

Last Lap: I was still nervous about the games they might play so I hit the first climb past the start finish hard to see if I could pop anyone, nope could not split Brain & Eamon and I didn't want to attempt a solo move, so I waited for the sprint. Coming into the sprint I just keep repeating in my head "1st into last corner, 1st into last corner" sometime I lose focus in the finale so this helps me :). They made me lead it out on the decent I kept my speed but shifted way to the right waiting... And waiting.... And finally BearDev comes flying by still 200m from the last turn I jump on his wheel, Eamon on mine, then Brian eases. Again too early so we wait and wait as the corner gets closer and closer and we start slowing down again. I wait as long as I can but was afraid we would slow too much or Eamon would jump first, so I jump hard at about 20m before the turn (earlier than I wanted, better too early than too late) I make it thru the turn at full speed use all the road and sprint along the cones on the left side of the road, spin my gear up and hold on for dear life as the road tilts up trying to keep the cadence up as high as I can. YES! My first win of the USCF season in the bag and extremely happy I was able to hold off Eamon. As expected the riders who were popped from the break were absorbed by the field, Matt took a last lap all-or-nothing attack at the start of final roller section, but was drought back on the decent, and rolled in with the pack.

Video of sprint for the Win: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVCVGyC4LGE&feature=youtu.be

Podium Shot: http://instagram.com/p/WrtYr1lRDF/

CCCX #3 Results:
P123 Results: 1st - James, 11th Matt
E2/3 Results: 5th - Carmi

Data Geek Info:
Time: 1hr28m Dist: 34.4mi Norm Power: 265w (w/ 229w ave)

No comments:

Post a Comment