Sunday, May 13, 2012

Berkeley Hills RR - Pro/1/2

In the P1/2 race there were about 50 starters and, I was the only rider from SquadraSF and just about everyone was a threat, 7 Mikes Bikes, 8 Marc-Pro Strava, 6 Freemont Bank, 3 Cal Giant, 4 Metromint, Wonderful Pistachios, oh and local Nate English (Kenda/5hr-Energy). So with 6hrs of sleep (5am alarm) and racing a Crit on Saturday, I was wondering how the legs would be. I knew the race would be stacked, but mostly wanted to test myself in my first P1/2 race with a lot of climbing.

Course & Profile: Classic course w/ the P1/2's doing 90 miles with 7500ft of climbing rolling around San Pablo Dam/Reservoir. Climbing the "three bears".

Report: As expected: Attacks were constant for the first two laps. On lap two fewer people began to respond to the attacks and Nate kept putting in small attacks on the climbs or simply up the pace like crazy. Admittedly during this stage in the race so I jumped on more moves than I should have, but was worried more about missing the move than finishing at this point. At some point two got away and to be honest I did not even see them go, but with only Freemont and Marc-Pro represented I assumed it would be brought back, wrong, Mikes Bikes guys were suffering they actually used this time to let the pace slow so some of their guys could catch back on and Nate was not willing to do it on his own. Coming into the last lap there was another big split in the front group of 20 on Papa Bear, I was in the 2nd group of 10 or more. As we hit the boat launch area rollers the gap was coming down. Two riders attempted to bridge, I would have jumped on it but had just pulled through and was at the very back. I decided to roll the dice and hope this would cause our group as a whole to pick up the pace and close the gap. Wrong, I ended up stuck in a group of 10+ guys who just lost their shot at a top ten just 14 miles from the finish.
Since when did I enjoy solo TT efforts: Often when I realize I just let the race slip away from me I get bummed and then really annoyed by the negative racing in the shattered group that I am in. So what do I do, turn it into a training ride and try to get back home sooner than later. When we reach the valley it was very clear we were not catching the lead group again. After taking a hard pull to get things moving, I pull off to find they have just let me ride off. Now really annoyed I keep cruising and make the call to give it a go make the legs pay for not making the final selection and see if I can make it home before the group of 10 just behind me. At mile 82 I must have been really annoyed because a 9mile solo TT with strong winds included headwinds on the final climb is not my idea of fun and does not suit me either. So I made this my race within a race. I catch a Mike's Bikes rider a few miles into my solo effort and am excited to get some help, but quickly realize that he had blown so I continue on solo. The group behind is closing again so I get on it through the meandering valley until I am out of sight again. Coming into Mama Bear I have a pretty good gap, can see the lead group nearing the top, but I can feel my legs and body starting to shut down. I reach the base of Papa Bear with one rider attempting to bridge about 100m back and the group of 10 maybe 300m behind. I fight my bike and legs as much as I can trying to squeeze the last bit of power(lets call it energy because the power numbers at this point were pretty pathetic) out to just get through this hellish headwind climb. I do just enough to finish a few seconds ahead of the Stage17 race bridging and about 10 seconds ahead of the group of 10 chasers. Small success and good mental strength training.

Placing: 15th (1st of Cat 2s)

Strava File

No comments:

Post a Comment