Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuscon Bicycle Classic - E2

In the 2s it was just Chris Burnham and myself racing in the great AZ weather.


Stage 1 - TT: 
3.2 mile rolling TT with a few gradual sustained climbs and a 6-7% kicker towards the end. About 300 feet of climbing. Chris had never raced the course before but put in a great effort and got an 8:01 good enough for 8th. Last year I raced the course as a 3 and got 12th with an 8:44, I went out a little too hard on the rollers and blew up on the kicker. I beat my time from last year so that was a small victory, but still a little bummed on my GC placing.
Placing: 8th - Chris B. 8:01, 36th - James E. 8:33

Stage 2 - RR: 
We did 4x20miles on a rolling loop with about 1000' of elevation gain per lap. The plan was simple, stay near the front and cover the moves. Chris mentioned to me that he has not seen a single Cat 2 road race finish in a field sprint. So we need to be attentive, but if it came to a field sprint he would do what he can for me. The first lap was pretty uneventful, Chris and I covered the moves and stayed up near the front. Early on the second lap, towards the end of the rollers I saw a move slowly sneak off over one of the bigger rollers, I move up on the roller and over the top I see that they are drilling it and the group of five had a sizable gap. I jumped hard, came within 50m dragging a Lagrange guy with me, he came around but slowed soon after. The pack came up to us and I kept it moving for Chris, he jumped next and similarly almost made it. So with all but one of the big AZ teams represented in the break, it seemed Bicycle Haus would be drilling it to bring it back. Chris and I decided to wait it out and see if anyone would organize the chase, but if they don't start hitting it by the gradual climb through the start/finish we need to get up there. We hit it on the false flat/climb and do a ton of work at the front to reduce the 2min+ gap. On lap 3 we let bicycle house take control on the decent and flat section. Chris chats it up with the yellow jersey holder with no teammates to organize some firepower. Lap 4, The gap came down but it seemed the pack was gonna let it go back out so Chris and I come back to the front and start rotating HARD with the yellow jersey and one Bicycle Haus guy. We do this for several miles and end up bringing back the break pretty fast. This caused a bit of confusion about if anyone was still up the road. So I told Chris to sit in a be ready for an attack while the yellow jersey and I rotated at the front to just make sure no one was still out there. It turned out to be a big bunch sprint and I decided not to mix it up in it because I assumed I was too gassed to put in a good sprint. There was a headwind so the sprint was late and short...maybe I should have given it a go. In the end I moved up 10 spots on GC because we dropped some people and we saved Chris' 8th on GC for another day.
Placing: 24th James E., 25th Chris B.

Stage 3 Circuit: 
The circuit race included 8 laps of a 5.6mile loop with about 400' of climbing each lap. Basically a long gradual climb fallowed by a fast decent with a flat/rolling section through the start finish at the bottom of the decent. Nothing too steep but it is climbing. Again the plan was simple stay near the front and get in the moves, and have me go for the Sprint time bonuses to keep anyone from overtaking Chris on GC. The Circuit race is actually harder than the RR in terms of the course so there could be more of a selection. As planned Chris and I covered most of the early moves. Then a big move hit about half way up the climb. Chris and I tagging along, but the group was too big and slowed, then a counter hit it hard. Chris jumped right on the back of it, while I did a false tempo to open up the gap. This was a decent size move and looked like it was gone, but as the crest go through the feed zone I see Chris and a few other tail off and not make it over the top with a select few. DAMN that was the move and we knew it.. The pack catches everyone except 4 riders on the decent. Chris and I are in an all to familiar situation, almost making the one move that looks promising and then stuck with a bunch of riders that are willing to let the race turn into a tea party. The odd thing was that all the GC contenders missed the move as well, but the big teams were represented.

As the lap cards ticked down the gap grew and I grew more and more frustrated with our current situation. With 3 laps to go I told Chris I was going to see if we can get it within range and hit the front on the climb and drilled it! They yellow jersey, Chris and a few others pull through, but I tell Chris to not do too much work because I wanted him to counter if if something goes again. 

With 2 laps to go I ease off a bit as other start to pull here and there. I chat with Chris and he says he's having an off day and I should ride for the stage and not worry about his GC because the guys up the road are likely gone. I move to the front and the yellow jersey rider is still pulling hard with no one else helping him. As we hit the rough patch of road where the road kicks a tad steeper he hits it and I follow. Through the feed zone the gap has grown and we gained another rider but the pack is now slowing to get their feed. I hammer it over the top and on the decent we rotate. Unfortunately the other rider with us has a man in the break so he is just sitting on for the ride. So it is the yellow jersey and I motoring along. At the bottom of the decent we had gained two more riders, but they were gassed from chasing us down.

We get the bell lap  and have a pretty solid gap and keep motoring hard on the climb. The yellow jersey doing a lot of work and me doing tad less with one of the other riders who was not represented in the break pulling here and there. We make the hard right onto the decent and take a check how far back the pack is and I can't see anyone, just pull through the decent to kept the momentum going. I lay off the gas, but after about 3 laps of drilling it on the climb I am starting to feel the effects. I start taking a look at who has been sitting in this entire time, (2) guys with teammates up the road an (1) guy who says he going for the stage and does not care about GC...then we catch another rider who had been dropped from the break. We hit the final 1km in a group of 6 and 3 up the road... I move to the back to see how it is going to unfold. The yellow jersey leading us out, I slide up on the outside as everyone is in gutter and keep a rider or two boxed in. We hit the final roller and headwind... I jump first (no patience) give it all I got left...it looks like I am gonna get it but I start to slow a tad from using too big a gear on the roller...I end up getting 7th (4th of my group that I towed along for 2 laps)..about 6inches from 5th and one bike length from 4th. We finished 2min down on the winning break and 1min ahead of the pack. I shot up the GC board from 36th after the TT, 26th after the RR, then 8th after the Circuit. A little bittersweet as Chris and I traded spots on GC and I couldn't deliver a better result in the Stage sprinting from my small group....that should be where I have the advantage.
Placing: 7th James E., 25th Chris B.

Overall GC: 8th James E., 15th Chris.

Up Next Chris, Matt, Pascal, and I will be racing the Cat 2s at San Dimas.

No comments:

Post a Comment